This post contains affiliate links. If you click on or purchase through links included on this page, I may receive compensation.
Pearl embellished everything is all over the ‘gram! From denim jackets to jeans, even baseball hats, if it can’t move, stick some pearls on it. The minute I saw my favorite blogger (Courtney Kerr, BTW) in pearl embellished jeans, I knew I had to DIY my own. This DIY is perfect for denim jeans or a jacket. Though this DIY pearl embellished denim requires a bit of sewing, it’s as easy as sewing on a button.
- Denim Jacket or jeans (I purchased mine from Goodwill)
- Drilled pearls (30-50 recommended) (I used different colors and sizes)
- Thread (I recommend clear thread or colored thread to match pearls)
- Start by laying a jacket/jeans out flat and placing the pearls in a desired pattern. Use chalk (easier to remove than ink) and make tiny dots under the pearls. Remove the pearls and place to the side. (I skipped this step because I wanted a more cascading, waterfall look.)
- Cut a piece of thread 12-16 inches long. Thread a needle and double knot the ends of the thread.
- From the underside of the jacket or jeans, push the needle up through the denim using the chalk marks as guidance.
- Thread a pearl onto the needle. Then, Thread the needle tightly through and back into the denim, as close to the first hole as possible. Thread back through a second time (and maybe even a third if the pearl feels unsecured).
- Wrap the thread three times around the base of the pearl then thread back through the denim. On the underside, tie in a double knot and cut off excess thread.
- Repeat until all the chalk marks have been covered. I started out with all of one color then gradually added on so each side would be be even.
- Tip: If your sewing skills or lacking or you’re short on time, use flat backed pearls like these and Quick Grip.
- Be very gentle when washing. Turn inside out and wash on gentle cycle. Line dry.
Pin this image for a rainy day!