AirBnb? Uber? Why not expand the sharing economy to your closet? I’ve previously confessed my obsession for subscription services, and Rent the Runway Unlimited TAKES. THE. CAKE. I included RTR Unlimited in my June Favorites, but it deserves an entire post. Confession: I never used Rent the Runway before they launched the Unlimited program. RTR Unlimited is a game changer by giving women the opportunity and access to styles and brands out of her budget. Between Goodwill trips and Rent the Runway Unlimited, I have been to the mall twice in the past six months and purchased less than 10 new items of clothing.
How it Works
- For a monthly subscription fee of $139/month, you pick out three pieces at a time from the Rent the Runway Unlimited collection.
- The three items can be switched out as many times as you wish within the month, two at a time, one at time, or even all three.
- If you really love something, you can keep it for as long as your heart desires (while still paying the monthly fee.) I rented this Gigi New York satchel in May and sent it back this week in exchange for a new fall bag! If you just can’t part with one of your rented items, you can purchase at a discount.
- It’s a month to month commitment. If you don’t like the service, you can cancel at any time.
- Items are shipped in a garment bag or box with prepaid return shipping label. The monthly fee includes shipping. Just drop off at a UPS store. (Don’t put it in a stand alone UPS mailbox. I lost a dress this way.)
- Dry cleaning and insurance are also included in the monthly fee.
- The value of items range from $50-$2500.
- You get to try designers and styles that may exceed your budget or too trendy for the price tag. There is no commitment if you don’t like the style or the fit isn’t right. You can send the item back right away for something else.
- There’s a good mix of casual pieces, cocktail dress, formal gowns, and accessories.
- Other subscribers upload pictures and reviews that are helpful in styling the pieces or choosing an item best for your height, weight, and body type.
- Searching for your 3 items feels like going through your best friend’s closet!
- I have saved hours of time scouring racks at the mall (and fighting for parking) when I can simply rent three dresses from an app and have them show up on my doorstep 2-ish days later.
- Rent the Runway’s customer service is AMAZING. Seriously. They go above and beyond to help you and make sure your items get to you on time. After a lost shipment, they let me rent two extra items to make up for their mistake! cc: COMCAST.
- The biggest con for me is definitely the price. Depending on your budget, lifestyle, and social life, RTR Unlimited may be the cheapest option or maybe completely unrealistic. Since April, I have rented THOUSANDS of dollars worth of dresses and accessories. The two pieces in this look total over $900! I also don’t have to pay for the dry cleaning or any alterations from damage to the garment.
- The selection is more limited than Rent the Runway daily rentals, but the inventory updates every couple of days. I check the New Arrivals daily!
- Shipping is slow sometimes. It’s usually 2 days each way, but I’ve had shipments take up to 4 days.
Have you ever tried Rent the Runway or a similar subscription service? If you would like to try Rent the Runway Unlimited, use this referral link for $30 off your first month!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Goldwill Digger turns ONE YEAR OLD on October 1! I can’t believe it! I have learned more about myself, the creative community in Nashville, and the blogging world than I could ever have imagined one year ago. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for every single positive comment, like, share, and compliment! I’m overwhelmed by the positivity this blog has brought into my life! I hope there are many more blogiversaries in the future. Anything you want to see more of, less of, or not at all on Goldwill Digger? Leave me a comment below or shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!