Shirt: Rock & Republic via Goodwill (Similar Splurge // Save); Skirt: Ann Taylor via Goodwill (Similar Splurge // Save) ; Necklace: Shop Goodwill (Similar Splurge // Save); Clutch: Michael Kors, old (dupe for this Valentino or Save Here); Sunglasses: Tory Burch
As the great poet (and my future husband) Justin Timberlake once said, what goes around, goes around, goes around, comes all the way back around. There is no truer statement to describe the cyclical fashion world. Though I cringe at my fashion choices from middle and high school, I secretly hide items in the back of my closet hoping I will once again be able to don my beloved pieces.
Maybe it’s my recent binge watching of Fuller House or my fond memories of simpler, pre-social media times, but I’ve recently found myself coveting pieces reminiscent of the 90s. Though I was hesitant to rock acid-wash anything, pairing this top (identical to Punk Wash Saint Laurent Chambray Western Shirt) with a feminine maxi-skirt in a contrasting hue softens the harshness of the print. The clutch’s classic shape and edgy studs brings both pieces together into a cohesive, modern look.
I won’t pull out my jellies or Umbros anytime soon, but these six 90’s trends will be hot for summer and fall.
- Backpacks. Like a fanny pack, but cooler. This bucket backpack from Last Call is my personal fave. Just say no to anything furry and shaped like an animal.
- Bandanas. Rock it around your neck like this, but please don’t wear it as a shirt.
- Brown lips. I solely blame the revival of this beauty trend on Kylie Jenner. If you want to recreate this look and can’t get your hands on the coveted Kylie Lip Kit, try MAC Lipstick in Whirl or NARS Audacious Lipstick in Barbara for a more subtle take.
- Slip dresses. Kate Moss’s iconic slip dress has often been duplicated but never emulated. Don’t worry, we all can’t be Kate, but you can do your best impersonation in this Express Black Cami Slip Dress.
- Chokers. I’ll leave the stretchy tattoo choker in the box with my Tamagotchi, but this Urban Outfitters gold chocker is a fresh and modern take on the 90’s trend.
- Babydoll dresses. Babydoll dresses can be tricky based on your body type. Those blessed above the waist, proceed with caution. If you want to rock a babydoll, try this Kendall + Kylie lace babydoll or this BCBG red babydoll cocktail.
What is your favorite piece from the 90’s that you would love to dig out of your closet? Leave me a comment below!